Truth be told a lot of folks could do with a break from the POD life. While Incarna is defiantly a future part of EVE that will allow for this, I am actually talking about spending time away from EVE doing fun things. In doing so reduce the focus on the negative and allow you to return to the positive in the game.
So what I am asking here is folks to list things they do to unplug from the POD. You know things like hobbies, sports, or perhaps other games *gasp* you might play aside from EVE. Whatever it is that you do that is not EVE Online as a past time feel free to list them.
MY methods for UNPLUGING from the POD:
- Cycling: - I have a mountain bike and I find when I take it out for a few laps of the trails all the things I am angry about melt away. Even if I am only skilled to "Sissy trails IV".
- R/C Helicopters: - I have flown R/C planes most of my life, but about 7 years ago I bought a R/C heli to monkey with but becoming a father cut it short. Flash forward 7 years and two children and I am now re-discovering the challenges of flying these things.
- Fatherhood: - Nothing rips me from the POD like my kids. Lately they have been watching the AVATAR: The last Air bender animated series with me. Pig piled on the sofa with a huge tub of popcorn. Good times. Oh and taking them to swimming lessons or the park etc. good stuff.
- Hammock swinging: - I’d much rather spend some time in my hammock swinging in the summer breeze than station spin ships any day.
- Cooking: - My mother decided it was wise for her only son (I have 3 sisters) to be able to fend for himself. As a result I have always loved to cook as a way to unwind from the day and make tasty meals. I even trained to be a chief for a year, but decided that turning a passion into a job sucked hard. Hmm…apply this to a video game and well you get the drift.
That’s by no means the full list but you get the idea. When EVE makes me mad and I could emo rage quit whist spewing venom all over my blog and the forums. I find myself turning to one/many of the above past times to calm the FUCK down. They also work when WoW/work/traffic on I495 drives me crazy as well. Well I don’t play WoW anymore, but they worked back when I did.